Once again, I’m following in Irmata’s footsteps. She did a reading on her soul gifts, inspired by a couple of posts about soul gifts and how soul gifts can also be personality flaws by Anna Sayce at Psychic but Sane. After seeing her spread, and reading those posts, I knew that this was what I’ve been seeking for a while now.
I’ve felt a bit lost. I know I should be pursuing some purpose, some… thing (as Ace Ventura would say), but I just can’t seem to snatch it from the ether, you know? I need direction, but until now, nothing really seemed exactly right. Now, however, I think I have my first step in the right direction with this reading. I’ve decided to follow Irmata’s initial spread and then break it down further with clarifying questions.
Because I’m digging so deep with this, I don’t expect many visitors to read the whole thing, but that’s fine. It’s mostly for me anyway, eh? I used Darkana for the main spread and Joie de Vivre for the clarifiers, because it just felt right.
1-3: 3 Core Soul Gifts (active – strong)
1. High Priestess: intuition – mystery (click to see all 4 cards)
- How do I positively express this gift? – 3 of Cups (celebration, partnership)
- How does it present as a flaw? – 6 of Wands (success, recognition)
- How can I strengthen this gift? – 10 of Wands (willpower, difficulty)
So, I’m good at following my intuition and knowing when I’m right or wrong about things. Looks like this can turn into a flaw when I either flaunt that I’m right or fight too hard to prove that I’m right (because I *know* I’m right, but the other party refuses to believe me). And, ouch, looks like it will take lots of work to improve upon this gift. I’m taking this as a sign that this is my most prominent and developed soul gift. Comforting but also kinda scary at the same time.
2. Knight of Swords: direct – incisive (click to see all 4 cards)
- How do I positively express this gift? – Page of Cups (caring, calm)
- How does it present as a flaw? – 4 of Swords (rest, introspection)
- How can I strengthen this gift? – The Wheel (change, movement)
I’m good at making decisions, which leads to me being calm and helpful in scary or tense situations. By the 4 swords, I’m assuming this means that to others, it might look like I’m not deliberating enough before making a decision, or I appear lazy because I’m thinking TOO much and not acting quickly enough for them. Interesting. And I love that I can strengthen this by going with the flow!
3. Four of Cups: dissatisfaction – apathy (click to see all 4 cards)
- How do I positively express this gift? – King of Swords (logic, fairness)
- How does it present as a flaw? – Page of Swords (clarity, communication)
- How can I strengthen this gift? – Queen of Coins (sensitive, nurture)
Hrm, hrm, hrm. Totally did not expect to see that one of my soul gifts = BOREDOM? El-oh-el. Actually, I think this is showing that I am keen at discovering the flaws (dissatisfaction) in plans, situations, things. I have often felt like this was kind of a curse because it seems like people get really tired of me being the party pooper when I logically point out that whatever won’t work because of x, y, and z. Looks like I need to be more sensitive to others and think about how I present my case before sharing my thoughts in these situations. Very good advice. Whew.
4-5: Supporting Soul Gift (active – needs development) & Unexpressed Soul Gift (inactive – weak)
4. Page of Swords: thought – truthfulness (click to see all 4 cards)
- How do I positively express this gift? – Knight of Cups (passion, confidence)
- How does it present as a flaw? – High Priestess (intuition, knowledge)
- How can I strengthen this gift? – 9 of Swords (perspective, hope)
Oh-ho-ho this makes me very happy. One of my soul gifts is honesty? Oh, how very much I take honesty to heart. I agree that this is an under-developed gift, so continuing to practice empathy seems right in line with my desires. I’m thinking the High Priestess here is referring to me thinking I know things that I may not be clear about. Lately I’ve developed a tendency to finish other people’s thoughts and then turn out to be wrong. It’s really annoying and why do I do that?
5. Page of Wands: creativity – ardor (click to see all 4 cards)
- How do I positively express this gift? – The Devil (ambition, willpower)
- How does it present as a flaw? – 10 of Cups (elation, abundance)
- How can I strengthen this gift? – 8 of Coins (skill, dedication)
Interesting. I can see why this is placed in the inactive/weak spot. I do enjoy creative projects and when my muse strikes, I can be very single-minded and enthralled with whatever it is. Interesting that 10 cups is how I manifest this gift as a flaw. Does this mean I get to pleased with myself when I make something I’m happy about? Not sure what to make of this one.
6: N/A Soul Gift (don’t waste energy)
6. Justice: responsibility – decision (click to see all 4 cards)
- How do I positively express this gift? – 2 of Cups (honesty, cooperation)
- How does it present as a flaw? – 6 of Coins (sharing, generosity)
- How should I use this gift? – Temperance (connection, balance)
Arrrrgh. Really? It’s no secret to me (or my husband) that I do like to seek justice. I like to follow rules and I like it when other people follow the rules, too. But apparently I should, uhm, not care about this so much? *sheepish grin*
Jumper + Quint
While shuffling Darkana, I got a jumper card so I set it aside until the very end. I also decided to find the quint this time (I’ll probably do this from now on), because it seemed especially important for some reason.
- Jumper: Queen of Cups – loving, empathy
- Quint: Strength – my soul card (how very appropriate)
Both pretty apt, in my opinion. Most of my working with these gifts stems from a place of empathy and caring. I do things because I care (about the things I’m doing, about the people involved). And of course, Strength would pop up right on schedule. Strangely, the more it appears in these situations, the less I am beginning to understand it. Hm.