Okay, look. Call me a copycat if you want, but when I saw Irmata’s Deck Interview Conference Call last month, I knew I wanted to do this, too. Getting to know new decks can be kind of difficult for me, especially since I don’t read all that often (but I can’t resist buying new decks!). So. Welp. Yes, I’m even using her spread (mostly), because it’s just so damn perfect.
I’ve gotten a few decks in the past 6 months that I still don’t really know how to read. Tonight, I’ve called them together so I can more properly make their acquaintance. My guests for the evening are:
- Sun and Moon Tarot (yes, I’ve read with it a couple times so far, but it still seems… off…)
- Darkana Tarot (got from a Kickstarter campaign and have barely had time to even look at it yet!)
- Mystic Dreamer Tarot (just got like a week ago and I’m dying to play with it!)
- 8-Bit Tarot (yeah, I know it’s basically a RWS clone, but still.)
So, here we are.
Hi! It’s nice to meet you. Thank you for joining me. :)
- And very nice to meet you too, my dear!
- Sup. I’m not giving up any secrets or anything, but I showed up, didn’t I?
- Hello. While I might rather be spending time with friends, well, I guess I could spare a moment for you too.
- *grabs fork, moves it toward own eyeballs*
Uhm. Well, then. Please describe yourself in a nutshell.
- Why, I’m the star of the show, of course! The life of the party. The reason to be here, of course.
- I’m victorious, plain and simple. You want answers? You want solutions? Come to me.
- Oh, I can be a charitable giver, especially to those less fortunate than myself. As I said, I am sparing a moment for you, aren’t I?
- Eh. A frustrated loner. Looking for connections that are difficult to obtain.
What is your preferred style/type of tarot reading?
- A collaborative one, darling! A reading where you and I get together and communicate on a deep, intimate level.
- Big spreads that involve lots of cards, so I can give you all my best answers.
- Focused. Come to me when you want decisive, straight to the point answers. I’ll enlighten you with my beauty and wisdom.
- Readings that are going to be profitable, of course! Come to me when you want easy answers, with little guess work.
And what do you absolutely have no time for?
- Troubles and complaints! I do not have time to console your whining. I just want to delight you!
- I don’t like to be too spiritual. Leave that stuff for someone else and keep me around for more practical, tangible matters.
- If you already *know* the answer, do not look to me for confirmation. I have no patience for ego-stroking.
- Starry-eyed querents. This is a job, and I’m good at it, but I don’t need to be reminded of how *fascinating* people find me.
What important trait of yours isn’t immediately obvious?
- Sometimes, I’m not all that accurate. Like I said, I’m best with happy things. Sad things just make me more sad.
- I’m a traditional guy at heart. I’ll stick to what’s true and right.
- I’m good in hectic situations. If you need many answers, I can be very insightful.
- I will always come to the rescue, with whatever message you need.
How can a reader — especially me — work with you most effectively?
- Come to me with an open heart and an open mind, so we can experience everything together anew!
- Come to me with your problems. I’m a badass (I don’t know if you noticed), but I can take on the big challenges. I DARE YOU!
- Come to me as The Fool. Completely ignorant and open to all of my great wisdom and advice.
- Know what you want, and be ready to seize it, before you knock on my door.
What do you offer in return?
- Why, I will open up my world to you, darling – with all of the riches and blessings that includes. *charming grin*
- I’ll provide you with comfort and stability. I’ll be a solid rock you can depend upon when you need me.
- I will help you to focus on the most important things, and guide you away from that which isn’t best for you.
- I’ll make the decisions for you, just as you ask.
Anything you’d like to add in closing?
- Let’s do this! I’m ready to go places with you.
- Eh, I’ve got nothing. See ya.
- Did you really just ask me that? Goodbye.
- I’m fresh out. Bye!
Okay, so does anyone else think it’s weird, how some cards kept repeating? 5 of Swords. The Star. 6 of Wands. 7 of Cups. 5 of Pentacles. o_O
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Darkana tarot and I will get along quite well, it seems. I originally backed the Kickstarter project just to help out a fellow tarot reader, and didn’t really find myself all too interested in the art style. But it seems as if it might provide me with the kinds of readings I often prefer. Interesting.
I was also pretty disappointed to see the attitude of the Mystic Dreamer. When I read through the book a little bit, I learned that it should be especially good for dream work. Only now I’m scared to use it, especially for dream work, where I *might* already know the answers and need confirmation or further explanation. Argh.