The Liebster Award is given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. The word “Liebster” comes from German and can mean the sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, most beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
So like… I’ve basically been sort of nominated for this award by submerina. I mean, it was kind of a free-for-all for folks to nominate themselves with her permission. It still feels kind of wrong, considering that description up there. Am I an up-and-coming blogger? Do I really resemble any of those adjectives up there? For the purpose of this exercise, we’re going to go with: yes and yes.
Oh yeah, there’s rules…
- Thank the person who nominated you.
- When you receive the award, you post 11 random facts about yourself and answer the 11 questions asked by the person who nominated you.
- Pass the award onto 11 other blogs – while making sure you notify the blogger that you nominated them! You write up 11 NEW questions directed towards YOUR nominees. You are not allowed to nominate the blog who nominated your own blog!
So first off – thanks to submerina (and also myself?) for this nomination. I would give a speech, but… no I wouldn’t. I don’t give speeches. Ooh, that could be considered one of my 11 random facts. Crap.
11 Random Facts About Me
- I have narcolepsy with cataplexy. This means I am excessively sleepy quite often, and can fall asleep during many activities. It also means that when I laugh, my body goes limp, to varying degrees. It can range from my knees buckling slightly to my whole body collapsing into a puddle of mush.
- I have amazing fingernails. No really. They grow out strong, thick, and pretty. They often get mistaken for fake nails, and when I was a teenager, other dumb teenagers would try to pull them off because they didn’t believe they were real. Silly teenagers.
- I’m synesthetic, which means I have all kinds of intermingling senses and stuff going on in my brain. I associate colors with letters, numbers, days of the week, and months of the year. I also see time in a kind of spatial shape in my mind. There’s more, but I’ll stop now.
- I prefer fruity candies to chocolate. I only like chocolate when I’m in the mood for it (aka hormonal).
- I can’t stand raisins, and if you put them in your baked goods them shame on you. I also can’t stand beans. If you put them in anything you plan to serve me, then you can watch me sit there and pick them out (same goes for raisins).
- I don’t generally like to watch movies because the closer it gets to the end, the more uncomfortable I feel. Don’t ask me why. I just don’t like it. I guess it’s a good thing that I usually fall asleep during movies (see #1).
- I love wrapping and giving presents. Especially when it involves baked goods. Nothing brings me joy and delight quite like baking cute, delicious goodies and packaging them up all pretty — then giving it to someone!
- Whenever I’m around objects of various colors, I put them into rainbow order. I just can’t help myself. And it really frustrates me when there’s one color that offsets my rainbow and makes it incomplete. For example, we have a spinning rack of various teas in our kitchen at work. I sorted them: blue, purple, red, red-orange, orange, yellow — but then the yellow is next to the blue! There needs to be a green there! Augh!!!
- If there is an animal nearby, I pretty much want to pet it or talk to it. I am not scared of big, ferocious dogs, even if they are snarling and barking and stuff. If I go to your house and you have a cat, there’s a good chance it will come and sit on my lap. I don’t know why this happens, but it does.
- There’s a good bet that even if you have a name people often mispronounce, I will pronounce it correctly. What can I say? I’m good with phonetics. ;D
I thought a fun way to do these would be to consult a deck and base the questions on cards pulled. To take it even a little further outside of the thinky box, I’m using the Goddess Oracle.
1. Coyolxauhqui – Moms – so embarassing, amirite? What apology do you owe your mother?
Oh man, thanks for this question, right off the BAT. I suppose the apology I owe my mother is for stealing money from her when I was little, and wanting more money when I was a teenager. I had no idea how hard my parents were working and saving to take care of us, and how little we actually had. Now I appreciate it all so much. (This is just one reason I don’t want to have kids: too expensive.)
2. Hathor – What is your personal beauty ideal? Any beauty tips to share?
Hahaha. Beauty ideals? Do you even know me? I don’t even know how to answer that question (what is a beauty ideal?). The extent of my beauty regimen is generally cleansing and moisturizing. Occasionally I wear some eyeliner and mascara. Even less frequently, I get my eyebrows waxed. I prefer the “natural” and/or “low maintenance” approach.
3. Gaea – What is something that truly nourishes you?
Music. It is the most and best and only thing. It feeds me without question, without complaint, and without requiring anything of me.
4. Melaina – Is your Dark Side a friend and ally, or persona non grata?
I don’t know what/who my Dark Side is. I think she just toys with me. An ally when I’m feeling reckless, but really she’s just helping me be self-destructive. =/
5. Blodeuwedd – What is your favourite flower? Justify your choice for bonus points ;)
I’ve always loved tulips, but I can’t tell you why. Probably something to do with the pinks, purples, and oranges of them against bright green foliage that just looks so pretty.
6. Selene – Are you afraid of the dark?
Er, no? Depends on the situation.
7. Momoy – Have you had a visionary experience of any kind?
Only if you count hypnagogic hallucinations and sleep paralysis episodes.
8. Isis – Have you ever gone to extreme lengths for love, power or knowledge?
I’m not sure what’s considered extreme here. When I was 19 I quit college and pretty much dropped everything (left my entire life) to elope. Does that count? (I also ended up divorcing that guy 6 years later).
9. Laverna – What can never be stolen from you (besides YOUR FREEDOMMM)?
Ha. Um. This is a really hard question to answer, because at times it has felt like so many different things have been “stolen” from me, that I’m not sure there’s any left sacred. Am I completely broken? You know, the one thing that never seems to desert me, no matter how much to my detriment it may be, is my need to KNOW. I can’t help but ask questions. I need to know how and why for just about everything.
10. Sophia – What knowledge – mundane or higher – do you desire most deeply?
Gulp… All of it? I mean, like I said, I just need to know. Okay, I’ll try harder. Most deeply? I’d like to know the how and why of my body, so that I can understand its problems and either fix them or learn how to live with (work around) them. I can’t stand uncertainty.
11. Bride – What makes you burn? Where do you find your deepest inspiration?
This is really depressing, but I… I don’t know. You can see, I have things I need to work on. (Also, I’m unsure if both questions are asking the same thing, or asking opposites, so I’m not completely sure how to answer this.)
My Questions for You
Look, here’s the deal. As we’ve already established, I’m curious about many things. So some of these questions might seem random or weird or unimportant — but trust me, I do want to know the answers. Truly.
- What is your favorite book, and why?
- What is your favorite kind of cookie?
- If you could erase one memory/experience, so you could relive it all over again, would you? Care to share? (I’m thinking of seeing a great movie, playing an amazing game, etc. for the first time. You know, reliving that discovery experience.)
- What makes your heart swell the most?
- Do you like tea? If so, why? If not, I agree.
- Do you floss before or after brushing your teeth? (You do floss, don’t you?)
- What scares you the most?
- What element do you most connect with? (Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Spirit, Other?)
- How do you feel about familial love (the idea that you love your parents/siblings simply because they are your parents/siblings)?
- Do you think humans will ever actually develop warp speed capabilities, like in Star Trek?
- What imaginary world (from a book, movie, etc.) would you most like to visit or live in?
Look, I don’t really know many people, so… Anyone. Anyone out there at all who happens to read this and feels like answering the call… please, feel free. I’d really like to see someone answer my questions. (So if you do, please leave me a comment so I can go see your post!)